OLYMPUS E-M1 MARK III BODY
A camera designed with speed, versatility, and portability in mind, the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III is a well-rounded Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera suitable for a variety of stills and video needs. Featuring a 20.4MP Live MOS sensor and an updated TruePic IX image processor, the camera is characterized by its quick continuous shooting, up to 60 fps with an electronic shutter and 15 fps with a mechanical shutter, as well as DCI and UHD 4K video recording. The sensor and processor also offer a sensitivity range up to ISO 25600 while a sophisticated 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization system compensates for up to 7.5 stops of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Beyond imaging, the sensor's design also incorporates 121 on-chip phase-detection points, all of which are cross-type, along with 121 contrast-detection areas for fast and precise focusing and subject tracking performance.
In regard to the E-M1 III's physical design, it features a durable magnesium alloy body along with extensive weather-sealing to support working in harsh climates. Both a 2.36m-dot, 0.74x-magnification electronic viewfinder and 3.0" 1.037m-dot vari-angle LCD touchscreen are featured, too, for intuitive control and working from a variety of angles. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth further expand sharing and remote shooting capabilities, and dual SD card slots afford greater file saving flexibility.
20.4MP Live MOS Sensor and TruePic IX Image Processor
A high-resolution 20.4MP Live MOS sensor and updated TruePic IX image processor work in concert to provide notably fast shooting performance, expanded sensitivity range up to ISO 25600, and versatile 4K video recording capabilities. Ideal for sports and wildlife shooting, the sensor and processor combination avail a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 15 fps for up to 101 consecutive raw files when working with the mechanical shutter. When shooting with the silent electronic shutter, this shooting rate can be boosted up to 60 fps with single-shot AF for up to 50 consecutive raw frames or 18 fps shooting with continuous AF for up to 90 consecutive raw frames.
DCI and UHD 4K Video Recording and OM-Log
The sensor and processor also support recording both DCI (4096 x 2160) and UHD (3840 x 2160) 4K movies. When working in DCI, a true 24.00 fps frame rate is used, along with IPB compression and a 237 Mb/s bit-rate, and UHD 4K is available in frame rates up to 30p and a 102 Mb/s bit-rate. Full HD 1080p and HD 720p recording is also supported. Audio recording is possible using the built-in stereo microphone, and both an external mic jack and headphone jack are available for improved audio recording and monitoring.
Benefitting recording in varying light conditions, an integrated OM-Log setting can be used to extend the effective dynamic range and afford a greater range of control during post-production color grading when used with the accompanying LUT file. Use of an external recording monitor is also possible, via HDMI output, which supports 4:2:2 8-bit color for a greater color correction range.
Additionally, a Time-lapse Movie mode is also available for recording up to 4K UHD resolution with a 5 fps shooting rate to highlight subject changes or movement over a longer period of time. Full HD and HD time-lapse settings are available, too, as well as a high-speed Full HD setting with 120 fps frame rate.
121-Point All Cross-Type Phase-Detection AF
An advanced autofocus system combines both 121 on-chip phase-detection points and 121 contrast detection areas for focusing performance that is both quick and accurate. All 121 phase-detection points are cross-type, too, for improved precision in mixed lighting conditions, as well as enhanced subject tracking capabilities. Different focusing modes are available to suit working in various shooting conditions, including 121-point, for general use; Group 25-point, for moving subjects, such as birds and wildlife, and when 121-point is too wide; Group 9-Point, for smaller and more distant subjects; Group 5-Point, for when 9-point is too wide or to suit working with nearer moving subjects; Single, for working with still or small subjects that are not moving; and Small AF, for working with close-up subjects. Custom AF targets can also be set, for working with specific numbers of focus points within the 121-point grid, and an AF limiter function allows you to constrain the focusing distance within a specified range for more responsive performance. Additionally, continuous autofocus sensitivity can be set, to benefit its use while recording video, within five levels for more pleasing focus movements.
Suiting portraiture, Face Priority and Eye Priority AF are also available to prioritize the face and eyes of your subject. And for working in low-light conditions, focusing sensitivity is available down to -3.5 EV, and a dedicated Starry Sky AF mode can be used for focusing on stars and other nighttime sky subjects. Converse to the autofocus capabilities, manual focus users are also benefitted by live view magnification and focus peaking controls for greater accuracy.
5-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
In-body, sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 7 stops with any lens in use and compensates for camera movements that become especially noticeable when working with telephoto shots, macro imagery, and long exposures. Furthermore, this unique image stabilization system works across five axes to compensate for vertical angle rotation, horizontal angle rotation, horizontal shift, vertical shift, and rolling camera shake movement. This range of detected movements serves to benefit traditional still image shooting as well as movie recording and working with moving subjects more effectively. Additionally, when paired with select lenses featuring optical image stabilization, shake compensation up to 7.5 stops is possible.
Body Design and Connectivity
- High-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder is available for eye-level monitoring, and it offers a high 0.74x maximum magnification for clear, distortion-free viewing.
- Rear 3.0" 1.037m-dot LCD monitor features a vari-angle design to support working from a variety of angles, and it is also a touchscreen for intuitive menu navigation and image playback. Additionally, an LV Boost mode can be used to optimize the screen's brightness and prioritize the frame rate when working in dark locations.
- Included BLH-1 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 420 shots per charge with normal settings or up to an impressive 900 shots per charge with the quick sleep mode activated.
- The USB Type-C port can be used for quick in-camera battery charging.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth permits wireless image sharing and remote camera control from a linked smartphone or tablet when using the dedicated O.I.Share app for iOS and Android.
- Dual SD memory card slots offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording. Additionally, one of the card slots is UHS-II compatible for faster read/write speeds when used with a compatible UHS-II card.
- Wide accessory compatibility provided with the incorporation of 3.5mm headphone and microphone ports, a PC sync flash terminal and top hot shoe, USB Type-C and micro-HDMI ports, and a 2.5mm port for optional remotes.
- Rugged splash, dust, and freezeproof construction incorporates extensive sealing throughout the magnesium alloy body to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments, even when a cable, microphone, or a set of headphones are attached.
- Supersonic Wave Filter and a dust-resistant coating are used to greatly reduce the likelihood of dust reaching the sensor.
- Durable shutter unit is rated to perform for over 400,000 actuations.